Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Craftsmanship: the Meaning of Life

contributed by IKStuartDesigns

Many of us who make things with our hands aspire to reach the level of expertise where those who admire our work will refer to us as being a “craftsman”. I would like to share with you a very interesting article that I read this morning. Craftsmanship: the Meaning of Life is an opinion piece written by Tim Bryce that discusses the reasons for the decline of craftsmanship in America, defines the attributes of a craftsman, and identifies the differences between craftsmanship, workmanship, and quality. The article goes on to offer suggestions for methods to create craftsmen in the American workforce. I found it to be a very thought provoking read.


I wish to convey my gratitude to Hans Meevis for posting the link to this article on Orchid and to Tim Bryce for writing a thoughtful and well-reasoned article.


What do you think about this article? I'd like to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. That was quite a thought provoking article and one I agree with for the most part. Its truly a shame that America is losing its craftsmanship overall and that many americans take no pride in what they do anymore. It shows, in the quality of American made goods and service.

    ReplyDelete