Monday, October 11, 2010

Scrap..It Really Adds Up when working with wire. By Wire Wrap Jewelry ~Luann Jamison


As you may know, I work with wire. I do wire wrapping for pendants, bracelets and earrings. I also use wire in the form of rings, making chain maille jewelry. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I "scrap" whatever it is that I don't love. I also make mistakes. No, it's true. Hard to believe, I know, but there it is. So my little stack of scrap, bits and pieces and "start overs" were piling up. On my way to Rio Grande (on line, of course) to purchase more, I noticed that they encourage scrap recycling, and will pay for it. In the case of sterling, the payment for scrap is very very good. That's because they base payment for sterling on fine silver prices. It's wonderful for me.

Here's a piece that, all by itself, generated a goodly amount of scrap. It was the first faceted gemstone that I wrapped. Not easy. The stone needs to rest ON the bezel. Very tricky. But it finally turned out great.


So if you're working with wire, and especially working on new ideas and projects, you might want to consider recycling your scrap. It's valuable.

Happy recycling!
Please do visit Wire Wrap Jewelry on Art Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment