Monday, March 28, 2011

Meet ORefined


My name is Katrina Lum and my studio is called O'Refined (pronounced Ore Refined). My husband came up with the idea because I love working with metal (ore) and I try to make my jewelry look elegant (refined).

I am very new to jewelry making and have working on it now for about 7 months.

I was in the Navy for several years and left to raise my first child. My husband remained in and so I became a military spouse for a decade. I homeschooled for the past 8 years and this last fall my children decided to go to public school. Since I had all this free time now on my hands, I started making jewelry. My husband convinced me to start a business from it, so here I am.

I love bronze the most. I like to say it looks like gold with a tan. It's just a beautiful color to me and is so strong and polishes wonderfully, I can't help but love it. I also work with copper, brass, argentium, and sterling.



I love making handmade chain. I make all kinds from viking knit to tiny linked and hammered chain.



I'm getting into metal clay work now and am really inspired by Hadar Jacobson, Holly Gage, and Liz Hall.


I don't know if I'm all that interesting, but I strive to make all of my pieces completely handmade. All of my metal starts as wire and sheet and I make every single link and ring by hand that goes into my pieces. I'm going to work with glass, ceramic, and polymers so all of my beads will be handmade as well.

Have fun! If you're not enjoying what you're doing.....it's just not worth it. I feel so incredibly blessed to be working on something I truly love.....how many people get to say that in life?

You can find ORefined online:
ORefined.com

ORefined Blog

ORefind Art Fire Studio

facebook

Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Nice article and great pictures of your wonderful pieces. Thank for sharing them with us.

    Lois
    http://www.artfire.com/users/SerendipDesignsJewelry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing a blog post about me! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete